Red Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add cilantro; cook and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the beans, salt, cumin and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 345 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1001mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 11g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Aug 15, 2015
I used this recipe but used cooked Central American frijoles de seda instead of canned beans. They were very good.
Sep 17, 2013
Loved it!! Made my boring beans and rice into very flavorful beans and rice!!!
Feb 21, 2012
Delish! I usually pass over recipes without a picture, but wanted to make a cajun inspired meal for Mardi Gras 2012, and needed something I had all the ingredients for. This was easy. I ussed brown rice and didn't really measure ingredients, but it was FANTASTIC!