Warm Rice & Pintos Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch romaine, quartered lengthwise through the core
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add corn and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add beans, rice, green chilies, salsa and cilantro; heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over romaine wedges. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 331 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Jul 10, 2018
This was so easy to make and has a ton of flavor. I chopped up a red pepper and sauteed it with the onion and corn. It's great for anyone who likes to meal prep - I made it the night before and brought it for lunch all week! Will definitely be keeping this recipe.
Jan 26, 2016
This was extremely tasty and easy to make. I did not have a can of green chilis but it still tasted great. I crumbled some corn bread on top as well. My husband and I had this over romaine but felt it would also be good in burritos. Will make again.
Dec 24, 2015
I love how easy this recipe was to put together and how light of a meal it was! Yet it was still filling. I did add more cheese to it and my husband added hot sauce.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.