Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; saute until tender. Add next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through. Add rice; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Spoon a rounded 1/2 cup of rice mixture down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over filling and roll up. Place seam side down in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon remaining rice mixture along sides of dish. Top tortillas with salsa. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 279 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 19, 2019
was an amazing meal
Feb 26, 2019
Yuck...spicy , And, my husband, who will eat anything, said that it was missing something ...probably meat!
May 30, 2018
We like meat so I added 1/2 lb. of hamburger to this recipe. It was really good. And, no, my flour tortillas did not get soggy as suggested in other posts. I would do this again.
Mar 21, 2018
Actually as a Hispanic the worst thing to do is use flour tortillas, we use corn tortillas for dishes like these. Flour tortillas when they get soggy or wet revert back to the dough that was used to make them which is very bad for indigestion it's like swallowing gum.
Mar 12, 2018
This recipe is quick and easy and taste great. I usually have most ingredients already at home
Dec 13, 2017
These were very good and enjoyed by my whole family. I used whole wheat tortillas and replaced the picante sauce in the filling with salsa and the salsa on top with enchilada sauce but I know it would also be great as written.
Sep 6, 2016
This was so easy and super yummy! Needs more kosher salt and I used a combination of hot sauce and the juice of one line instead of picante sauce.
Oct 23, 2014
Easy and delicious! Will definately be a weekly meal.
Sep 7, 2014
Made per recipe. Taste was good but trying to get a 1/2 cup mixture in a 6 inch tortillas and roll with ends tucked in is crazy...did not work! I also had a fair amout of mixture leftover. Doubt that I would make again.
Mar 4, 2013
I printed this recipe, quite some time back, but never made it. My wife and I are cutting way back on meat in our diet, and I found this in my recipe book. I'm sorry I waited so long to make it. It was great!