Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes4 servings per batch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Combine the first nine ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 4 batches (about 1 cup total).
- To prepare tacos: In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add 1/4 cup taco seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup beef mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 each: 338 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 23, 2018
Fresh made in just a few minutes. I worked with the ingredients,but also around some of the ingredients.I did not use the flour or salt. Which saved in some carbs and sodium. I also ran all of the ingredients through my mini food processor which really whirled all of the ingredients together..I used less chili powder and adjusted a few others to suit our taste preferences.A true WinnerVFE.
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you so much for this recipe. I made it today for the first time. I did not have coriander so I used cardamom. I also cut a fresh onion and diced/minced it. I'd roasted part of the pieces and allowed them to dry out and just put the balance of the minced onion in my oven-making sure to turn off the oven each time in order to dry the pieces. Anyway, it beat going to a store for dried minced onion! delowenstein, Volunteer Field Editor
May 4, 2017
After making this for the first time, I never bought a packaged taco seasoning again. Very good, and I know what is in it!
Jul 31, 2016
I made a batch of this immediately after seeing it posted on Facebook. I used the seasoning mix w/o the beef the first time for a fish dish...fantastic blend of flavors and very versatile.
Jul 4, 2016
Love this - and no sugar as in the pre-packaged seasonings. Will keep this on hand at all times. Thank you!
May 23, 2016
This was great! Nice and spicy and I love the fact it makes 4 batches. Thanks!
Jun 6, 2015
Good recipe, but I think I need to tweak it for my family's taste.
Mar 26, 2015
Super easy to make!
Feb 18, 2015
Staple in the cupbaord now, no package mixes. Left out some of the salt...
Feb 25, 2013
This was really good. We liked the extra little zip to it (my 6 and 8 year-olds agreed). I will be using this from now on for taco night - which we have at least twice a month.