Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mash 1 can black beans; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mashed beans, remaining beans, half of the enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup cheese; heat through.
- Place 2/3 cupfuls of bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place, seam side down, in two 11x7-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 425°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 363 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 26, 2020
This is easy and delicious. I added a little more onion and bell pepper, and added cumin and chili powder. I used the green enchilada sauce, so, with the added spices above, I didn't need taco seasoning. My husband loved it! Definitely enough for two dinners for two people if served with a simple, side vegetable.
Dec 17, 2019
Took a suggestion from the reviews and added taco seasoning - very glad I did.
Jul 14, 2016
Very easy to make but next time I may use more cheese and taco seasoning.
May 15, 2013
You must try! It was very easy and Omg good!!I made my own chips and added salad. 5*
May 5, 2013
Delicious! Love the flavors. My family devours it.
Feb 1, 2012
This is a keeper! This made 8 enchiladas. My 2 yr old even liked the filling. I used wheat tortillas, & added chili powder & seasonings for a little spice.
Jul 25, 2011
Used green enchilada sauce and substituted an Anaheim pepper for the green pepper.
Jul 18, 2011
Super good recipe, just needed a little more taste, so i mixed red and green enchilada sauce and it was perfect! Makes awesome leftovers.
Jun 11, 2011
This was pretty good. When I was eating it, I forgot I was eating turkey (instead of ground beef) and forgot that it was wheat tortillas instead of white. Overall, it was quite good for a "healthy" dish.
Feb 8, 2011
Very fast and hearty meal. Great to take to a potluck.