Chicken and Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 18 tortilla chips
- Shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional
- Place a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Reserve 2 tablespoons broth; add remaining broth to pan. Stir in corn, beans, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Top servings with crushed chips and, if desired, cheese.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without cheese): 194 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2019
Easy to make and Very Yummy!!! I always make extra to Freeze!!!
Apr 30, 2018
I will exchange the black beans for pink bean the next time I make this. I made a double batch to freeze for easy, healthy lunches. I have black beans in just about everything, from taco salad to black bean burgers. The pink beans should give me a nice variety to my meals.
Nov 18, 2017
This soup was so delicious! I got all the ingredients and dumped it all into a pot. I let it cook then afterwards cut up the cooked chicken, placing the chicken back into the pot to cook a little longer. I put a little garlic and parsley as I like these ingredients in my soups. This soup was super easy to make. Make it and enjoy!
Jan 22, 2017
I make a very similar soup. Double the chicken, use fiesta corn (corn with red and green peppers) and only a cup of chicken broth. Add a "tub" of Santa Fe cooking cream (formerly a Philadelphia Cream Cheese product but an easy recipe is available on line). The biggest difference is the topping. Take four small tortillas, cut them in strips and brush with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch to be sure they get brown, not burnt. Delicious even as a snack. You don't need to thicken the sauce with the cooking cream. Just brown the chicken and add the rest of the ingredients (except the tortilla strips) and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Top with the strips and cilantro. It's so easy and yummy. I always get rave reviews when I make it.
Jan 2, 2017
This is a great basic chicken and black bean soup. It has great flavor but isn't anything special.
Jan 10, 2016
I've made this recipe several times since it originally came out as Zippy Chicken Soup in the Light and Tasty magazine. I recently made it with leftover turkey and turkey stock from thanksgiving, and it was just as delicious! I sometimes omit the jalapeno, and frequently add onion and sometimes add extra corn and black beans to extend the pot. I've also tripled the recipe for potlucks, and it's always a hit. You just can't go wrong with this recipe! :)
Nov 12, 2015
Delicious! I used 2 chicken breasts, chicken stock, omitted the jalape?o, and 2 t chili powder. I also used dried cilantro and added a dash of salt.
Oct 28, 2015
Really good and easy. I don't like anything too spicy so I omit the jalapeno. Since I never have cilantro on hand I leave that out as well. Otherwise it's a meal I can make from pantry items and my family really enjoys it. Top with some crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheddar and sour cream.
Dec 14, 2014
This is a go-to recipe for both my mom and me. We love the kick from the spices and jalapeno, yet it's still comforting. This is the best recipe when it's so cold outside and you just can't seem to warm up!
May 31, 2014
So good! I did cheat and use some dried cilantro leaves and frozen rotisserie chicken from my freezer. Had great results. Thanks!