Red Beans and Rice with Turkey Sausage
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked turkey sausage, halved and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute celery, onions and garlic until tender. Add water, beans, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove about 1-1/2 cups of bean mixture and mash with a fork. Return to skillet. Add sausage; bring to a boil. boil for 5 minutes or until bean mixture reaches desired thickness. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 197 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 meat, 1/2 vegetable.
Apr 1, 2014
It is good but too dry. I omitted celery, green onions & used the light red kidney beans, but substituted chicken broth for the water. Also substituted browned turkey breakfast sausage. I recommend leaving the pot cover on to simmer. The mashed beans make the finished dish a bit odd-looking to a skeptical husband.
Dec 3, 2012
I added more sausage . I cook a lot of beans for my family . They love them with cornbread .