Cajun-Style Beans and Sausage
Beans and rice make the perfect meal because they're well-balanced, an excellent source of protein, and easy to prepare. The sausage adds full flavor to the recipe, and traditional pork sausage lovers won't even notice that chicken sausage is used in this dish. —Robin Haas, Cranston, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown sausage. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, vegetables, garlic and seasonings.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup sausage and bean mixture with 2/3 cup rice: 355 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 759mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 11g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Style Beans and Rice with Sausage in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.