Ham and Red Beans
I've cut some of the fat and calories from this traditional Southern dish. But after one bite, you'll agree it still has plenty of flavor.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Cajun or Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, ground cumin, dried oregano and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 207 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 474mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Ham and Red Beans in Country Woman January/February 1997