Cajun Pork and Rice
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours 10 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin chops
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- Mix cumin and chili powder; sprinkle pork chops with 2 teaspoon spice mixture. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, hot sauce, salt and remaining spice mixture; pour over chops. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-5 hours.
- Stir in rice and chicken broth, breaking up pork into pieces. Cook, covered, on low until rice is tender, 10-15 minutes longer.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Serve on top of pork mixture.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups pork mixture with 1/4 cup pepper strips: 423 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 25, 2019
This is one of the best meals I have made in a while. It reminded me of Jambalaya but so much easier to make! The only adjustment I made was using a box of Chicken and Garlic Rice A Roni as I was out of instant rice. Loved it and husband did too! Definitely will make it again.
Jun 28, 2018
Very good - next time I will try it with chicken and maybe some shrimp.
Jan 31, 2018
What are the nutrional facts?