Spicy Cajun Sausage and Rice Skillet
I created this easy skillet dish to use up the boil-in-a-bag rice in my cabinet. The result packs a lot of flavor. —Sonali Ruder, New York, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bags boil-in-bag white rice
- Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, Cajun seasoning, pepper and contents of rice bags; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 8-10 minutes. If desired, serve with hot sauce.
Health Tip: Replace half the sausage with lean ground turkey and use unsalted chicken broth to save almost 700mg sodium per serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 461 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1816mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Cajun Sausage & Rice Skillet in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.