Spicy Cajun Sausage and Rice Skillet
I created this easy skillet dish to use up the boil-in-a-bag rice in my cabinet. The result packs a lot of flavor. —Sonali Ruder, New York, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bags boil-in-bag white rice
- Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, Cajun seasoning, pepper and contents of rice bags; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 8-10 minutes. If desired, serve with hot sauce.
Health Tip: Replace half the sausage with lean ground turkey and use unsalted chicken broth to save almost 700mg sodium per serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 461 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1816mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spicy Cajun Sausage & Rice Skillet in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017