Spicy Cajun Sausage and Rice Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bags boil-in-bag white rice
- Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, Cajun seasoning, pepper and contents of rice bags; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 8-10 minutes. If desired, serve with hot sauce.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 461 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1816mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 7, 2019
This has become a family FAVORITE! I had to adjust the recipe a bit so everyone would eat it. I use mild italian sausage and omit the onions (daddy is allergic). I also only use half of the cajun seasoning so both my toddlers will eat it. I did notice however that it takes more than 10 minutes for the rice to absorb the liquid. Maybe it's just the rice I use.... other than that it is perfect family meal. Thank you so much for sharing!!