Cajun Beef & Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, cook beef, celery, green and red peppers, and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles, 8-10 minutes ; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 291 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 12, 2018
We’ve made this several times, including using cauliflower “rice.” It’s one of my husband’s favorites.
Jun 12, 2018
It’s close, but not Cajun dirty rice. Real Cajun dirty rice has ground up or finely chopped chicken gizzards, and sone also use livers, plus we would never use instant rice. The rice needs to cook with the ingredients so it’ gets the flavor.
Jun 1, 2018
Great recipe and I see it being so versatile! It reminds me a lot of the mixture I use when I make stuffed green peppers...but with some added kick! My son loved it too; he used tortilla chips to scoop what was leftover the next day. Instant nachos!
Jun 22, 2017
Excellent recipe. I would make one change. Instead of cooking the peppers and celery with the ground beef I would brown the beef first then add the peppers and celery and just cook for a minute or two before adding the rest of the ingredients. The peppers and celery were mushy when cooked with the beef..The taste good, spicy but not too hot
Jun 13, 2017
Recipe a good one. But why don't you make these printable recipes more user friendly? Why have to go to 2 pages when you could so easily format it to fit one 1 simple page?
Jan 15, 2017
We make this often in our house!
Feb 13, 2015
Quick and easy to make and tastes great. Served with a salad for a great meal.
Sep 15, 2014
Loved this!!! So quick & easy!! Even my 5yo who "hates" peppers cleaned her plate!
Aug 27, 2014
I agree with Andrea--this was easy to make and very tasty. Had just the right hotness from the crushed red pepper. Served with fresh fruit and it was a big hit. Will make again.
Aug 27, 2014
This was great. We had all the stuff on hand for a quick and easy supper. It took no time. It would be great with some crusty bread and a salad.