Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, process beans with liquid until smooth. Stir the beans and remaining ingredients into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 356 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Nov 19, 2016
Reading this recipe made me not even want to make it being a cajun any one of us knows that we never use pinto beans in a chili a true cajun chili is made with kidney beans.
Nov 29, 2014
Very good recipe. I altered the recipe just a bit by adding andouille sausage, 2 Tbsp. tomato paste, and substituting the pinto beans for red beans. I served this with oyster crackers that have been crisped up in melted butter and Cajun seasoning. The boys especially loved this and I will definitely be making it again!
May 18, 2013
I currently have 4 chili recipes that I love & rotate, but today I wanted to try something different. I adore Cajun-style food, so I decided to give this one a whirl. I'm so glad I did! The seasonings blend together beautifully & the honey adds a bit of sweetness which contrasts nicely with the spiciness. I did make a few minor changes - I used 1 lb of pork sausage & 1 lb of ground beef. I used a can of diced chilis, which I added in with the tomatoes & seasonings. I used a can of chili beans in place of the pinto beans. I would make it exactly the same way next time. Thanks for this recipe - it's such a fun & interesting twist on traditional chili!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.