Cajun Corn Soup
I found this recipe years ago and substituted Cajun stewed tomatoes for a bolder taste. Now I prepare this dish for out-of-state guests who want to taste some Cajun food. Everyone who tries it gives it high marks. Plus, it's easy to prepare. —Sue Fontenot, Kinder, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and green onions in oil for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Gradually add water; bring to a boil. Add the corn, sausage, ham, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, salt and pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 396 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1011mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Corn soup in Taste of Home August/September 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.