Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef or chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic, seasonings and pepper sauce. Stir in chicken and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Oct 9, 2019
This was tasty, but the next time I make this, I will not use so much chicken and use more shrimp. I'll also cut down on the hot sauce. Everyone thought it was good and the 5 of us voted to do it again.
Jul 26, 2019
Just didn't care for.
Jun 20, 2019
We have been using this recipe since it came out in 2008. It is one of my family’s favorite. We use it every winter and I have passed this recipe around dozens of times. The only thing I change is doubling the shrimp and chicken because my boys never feel like they get enough.
Mar 3, 2019
I made this yesterday, and it came out fine, it was tasty and spicy, but, I, like Deddmen, can't get over it not being like Jambalaya, since the rice is not cooked in the sauce, which is very soupy, more like Gumbo, but without the roux, which, I know, is what makes it Gumbo. Next time I will cook the rice with the sauce, not separately.
Dec 31, 2018
I made this as our after-church meal for Christmas Eve. Everyone really liked it! It was great to be able to put it all together earlier in the day, and then just add the shrimp and make the rice when I got home. I'll definitely make this again.
Dec 27, 2018
Thank you, SRAdair, for your review! I just got an Instant Pot for Christmas and am anxious to try it. This recipe sounds yummy, and I'm going to give it the Instant Pot treatment you outlined
Sep 30, 2018
This is my go to recipe for entertaining. I start it eight hours before the dinner is served. The table is set and I can visit with my guest when they arrive with a minimal amount to do before dinner is served. This is a delicious dish. Served with coleslaw and hot rice. This one pot dish is easy to clean up and gives me more time with my guests.
Mar 1, 2018
Super easy to make. This is my favorite Jambalaya recipe.
Feb 19, 2018
I made this according to the recipe and it was wonderful. Served it for company. Everyone loved it.
Dec 23, 2017
I lived in Baton Rouge, and I can honestly say that this is pretty good. Deddmen you can keep your real Jambalaya. You don't see me getting mad at non Hispanic restaurants for making Tacos.