Meet the Cook: My family likes its food spicy. I found the original recipe for these burgers in a cookbook, then added and subtracted ingredients until they suited our taste. Cajun Burgers are always on the menu whenever we have company over for a backyard cookout. Like my husband, I was raised in the country. We have four children (20, 16, 13 and 9) and now a grandson, too! -Julie Culbertson, Bansalem, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- CAJUN SEASONING BLEND:
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning Blend (recipe above)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 hamburger buns
- Sauteed onions, optional
- Combine all seasoning blend ingredients in a small bowl or resealable plastic bag; mix well.
- In a bowl, combine the first eight burger ingredients; shape into four patties. Cook in a skillet or grill over medium-hot heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until burgers reach desired doneness.
- Serve on buns; top with sauteed onions if desired. Store remaining seasoning blend in an airtight container.
Editor's Note: Purchased Cajun seasoning may be substituted for the homemade blend.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 394 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 2246mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips