Meet the Cook: My family likes its food spicy. I found the original recipe for these burgers in a cookbook, then added and subtracted ingredients until they suited our taste. Cajun Burgers are always on the menu whenever we have company over for a backyard cookout. Like my husband, I was raised in the country. We have four children (20, 16, 13 and 9) and now a grandson, too! -Julie Culbertson, Bansalem, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- CAJUN SEASONING BLEND:
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning Blend (recipe above)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 hamburger buns
- Sauteed onions, optional
- Combine all seasoning blend ingredients in a small bowl or resealable plastic bag; mix well.
- In a bowl, combine the first eight burger ingredients; shape into four patties. Cook in a skillet or grill over medium-hot heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until burgers reach desired doneness.
- Serve on buns; top with sauteed onions if desired. Store remaining seasoning blend in an airtight container.
Editor's Note: Purchased Cajun seasoning may be substituted for the homemade blend.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 394 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 2246mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Burgers in Country Woman September/October 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips