Cajun Chicken Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir 5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning and sugar. In a small bowl, combine cheeses.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce in a greased oval 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Layer with 3 noodles (breaking noodles if necessary to fit), a third of the remaining meat sauce and a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until noodles are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 466 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 618mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.
May 16, 2014
This was okay as is, but when I added Creole seasoning at the table it became much better. It's rather bland without it. I do think I'll make this again, but I think it would benefit from using Ro-tel tomatoes with jalapenos in place of the crushed tomatoes. Either that or replace the tomatoes with salsa.
Feb 6, 2014
I thought it was great, it had less calories then the orignal lasagna.