Grandma’s Cajun Chicken & Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- Sprinkle chicken with cayenne and salt. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches. Remove from pan.
- Add sausage, onion, green pepper and celery to same pan; cook and stir over medium heat 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken juices run clear, about 1 hour.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Remove chicken from pan. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Shred meat with 2 forks; return to pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes. Skim fat. Drain spaghetti; serve with chicken mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup chicken mixture with 3/4 cup spaghetti: 550 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 917mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Feb 14, 2017
This recipe is fairly simle and quick to make,a nd it tastes delicious! I also love how colorful it is. The great flavor combination definitely takes me back to my time in South Louisiana!
Feb 6, 2016
This recipe was delicious and fairly easy to prepare. I used bone-in skin-on thighs instead of a whole chicken but it turned out very nicely. This will be a great addition to the Cajun recipe file. Thanks!