Grandma’s Rice Dish
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, olives, bacon and seasonings; heat through. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 719 calories, 37g fat (18g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1397mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 41g protein.
Aug 8, 2019
This was better than expected. The cheese, the corn and the bacon elevated it to delicious
Jul 10, 2019
I have a similar recipe. No black olives, no corn. I leave off the bread crumbs and use saltine crackers, crushed. It's a very yummy dish.
Oct 28, 2018
I thought this was good. I used Italian diced tomatoes and frozen corn but otherwise made it as stated. I thought it was plenty seasoned. I think next time I'll use canned french fried onion rings instead of the bread crumbs on top.
Nov 19, 2016
Delicious!! Used 1 can diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers, REAL bacon bits, added 1/2 tsp cumin, about 1/4 c water (it seemed a bit dry) and left out the bread crumbs. This will become a favorite.
Sep 5, 2016
I changed out taco seasoning for chili powder to taste. I changed out tomatoes and juice for a can of tomato sauce, because my kid doesn't like cooked chunky tomatoes. It was a delicious meal, despite the changes!!!
Mar 20, 2016
Oddly enough, I used Grandma's rice dish as the bottom of my protein bowls. It was very easy to lower the salt content by not adding salt or olives. I left out the bread crumbs but I still think this is a very versatile dish and should give people lots of ideas about ways to use it.
May 22, 2014
This was horrible. The bread crumbs made it that much worse. Don't waste the ingredients like I did.
May 10, 2014
I love this recipe. It is a good family favorite. I generally add 1 can of rinsed canned black beans to the mix. It is delicious! It tastes like the dishes that I was served in Brazil.
Apr 2, 2014
This recipe was okay but lacked that wow factor. I did not top with the bread crumbs and butter but I like the idea from Texas Cookie of using a cracker crumb topping. I used fresh tomatoes as a topping because my family loves them.
Jan 13, 2012
Extremely tasty comfort food. We used extra sharp cheese and a cracker crumb top but otherwise stuck to the recipe. For those who prefer something spicier I would suggest a little more chili powder or perhaps some Ro*tel tomatoes instead of the plain ones called for; it would be an easy fix.