Grandma’s Seafood Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 pound haddock fillets, skin removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup lump crabmeat (about 5 ounces), drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until tender. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in cream and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in haddock, shrimp, peas and sautéed mushrooms; cook 5-7 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork and shrimp turn pink. Add cheese, crab and pimientos; stir gently until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 390 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 1, 2018
Quite expensive, but worth it for a treat!
May 21, 2018
I have made this chowder several times and everyone loved it. Lots of request for the recipe.
Feb 13, 2018
Very good but very rich. This is very easy to make.
Jan 28, 2018
An excellaant dish; a variable of the Pot Pie minus crust.
May 18, 2015
I am a friend of Melissa's and have tried many of her recipes, which always result in lots of compliments! I am not a seafood fan myself but my family is. Needless to say, this was another success! Everyone was extremely pleased, even having seconds and thirds! Would definitely recommend this to any seafood lover!!
Apr 7, 2015
I made this for a family gathering. Even the kids ate large bowls of the chowder! I did add 1 tablespoon of Old Bay, but Old Bay is a staple to add with seafood when you're from Maryland.
Mar 8, 2015
easy and fantastic recipe. Will make a million times again. Good enough for entertaining
Jan 19, 2015
Easy yet delicious! It is a keeper!