Grandma’s Chicken ‘n’ Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Cook: 2-3/4 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2-1/4 quarts cold water
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 to 1 cup whole milk
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the chicken, water, bouillon, peppercorns and cloves in a stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Strain broth; return to stockpot.
- Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and skin and cut chicken into chunks. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Return chicken to stockpot with soups, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover; increase heat to a gentle boil. Discard bay leaf.
- For dumplings, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in egg, butter and enough milk to make a moist stiff batter. Drop by teaspoonfuls into soup. Cover and cook without lifting the lid for 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 333 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1447mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 14, 2020
It's not "homemade" when you're using bouillon cubes and cans of soup! The term is "home cooked"!
Mar 13, 2020
If only we had the chickens that grandma had, their what really made this soup. Once in a great while my dad will dress a chicken that he's raised boy there is nothing like real chicken
Dec 3, 2019
This is so similar to one I've made for years. But along with the parsley gravy, I snip chives into the dumpling dough and sprinkle with paprika. I also use white pepper for the dumplings .Pretty stew.
Nov 5, 2019
Yes, you can freeze the soup but we would recommend making the dumplings when you're reheating the soup. The dumplings won't hold up well in the freezer.
Nov 4, 2019
Question here - can this soup be frozen? Wasn't sure with the dumplings. Or maybe make up to the dumplings and add those on the reheat? Might help those looking to cut in half...It is what I used to do for my parents who were only 2 in the household.
Oct 2, 2019
Excellent, but I added a bit of dill to the broth. Just a personal preference.
Oct 2, 2019
This is my new favorite chicken soup. Creamy, full of flavor and making your own stock out of it makes the flavors even better.
Aug 26, 2019
I think this recipe is amazing!! Also very easy to leave stuff out or switch ingredients up a bit. I saw people were concerned about sodium, to fix that just use reduced sodium soups, leave out the season salt and you can easily use chicken stock instead of bouillon. Bouillon is where a lot of the sodium comes from as well.
Aug 12, 2019
Tip for the dumplings: The texture seems to come out better if you turn up the heat and get your soup boiling before dropping the dumplings in.
Jun 4, 2019