Mom’s Chicken ‘n’ Buttermilk Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 stewing chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up
- 10 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, combine first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil; skim foam from broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, debone and dice. Strain broth, reserving broth and vegetables.
- In the same pot, melt butter. Stir in flour, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in 6 cups reserved broth (save remaining broth for another use). Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, reserved vegetables and chicken. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to simmer.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Combine eggs, buttermilk and butter; stir into dry ingredients to form a stiff batter.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering mixture. Cover and simmer until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering), about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 614 calories, 32g fat (14g saturated fat), 201mg cholesterol, 1059mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 42g protein.
Oct 14, 2017
Family loved this!
Feb 1, 2013
This was my first attempt at making chicken and dumplings. This couldn't be easier and sooo good. Would definitely feed a crowd. I didn't have half-and-half cream so I used evaporated milk.
Jan 1, 2013
Leave out the sugar from the dumpling mix..the aromatics add enough sweetness...use unsalted butter...make the broth simple: onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic, carrot, course salt and water. The 5 stars are for the dumplings, minus the sugar!
Oct 6, 2012
Easy to follow directions. Takes a little time to cook the chicken but the rest of the recipe is quick and easy. So delicious!
Aug 17, 2011
This was very good. I skipped the butter and half and half cream for the broth and just added the dumlings and it was still creamy and wonderful! Much less calorie content and still comforting to eat!
Jul 15, 2011
this was absolutely fabulous!! Instead of using a whole chicken, i used flash-frozen chicken tenders. it was SO EASY! it does take a while to make, so plan ahead, but it's not hard! Already recommended to friends!!!
Mar 3, 2009
Followed recipe exactly, and this dish was out of this world delicious. Comfort food at its best!!