Chicken Stew with Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 pound new potatoes, quartered
- 3 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place chicken and water in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Skim fat. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return to broth. Add next nine ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and parsley. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into simmering stew. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the dumplings are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 340 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 23, 2015
This was delicious and easy! I live in high altitude and didn't even have to make adjustments.
Oct 14, 2011
This is by far the best chicken & dumpling recipe I have ever had! After skimming the fat from the top of the broth, I added 1 cup water and 1 chicken boullion cube to make a bit more broth. That is the only change. This is YUMMY!!