Chicken Stew with Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 pound new potatoes, quartered
- 3 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place chicken and water in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Skim fat. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return to broth. Add next nine ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and parsley. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into simmering stew. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the dumplings are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 340 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Dec 23, 2015
This was delicious and easy! I live in high altitude and didn't even have to make adjustments.
Oct 14, 2011
This is by far the best chicken & dumpling recipe I have ever had! After skimming the fat from the top of the broth, I added 1 cup water and 1 chicken boullion cube to make a bit more broth. That is the only change. This is YUMMY!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.