Turkey Stew with Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 4-2/3 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter for 10 minutes. Add the consomme, 4 cups water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add turkey and beans; cook for 5 minutes. Combine the flour, Worcestershire sauce and remaining water until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in parsley and poultry seasoning. Combine milk and egg; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 255 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 995mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2018
Just made this tonight with left over Turkey and bone broth I made from it. Great recipe!
Nov 28, 2016
Just made this tonight with leftover Thanksgiving day turkey. It was fabulous. I did add 4 sprigs fresh thyme, and a crushed garlic clove. The only complaint is it really doesn't make 10 -12 servings ... it was more 6-8 servings.
Jan 2, 2014
My hubby and I love the dumpling recipe. The stew is excellent too. Thanks for sharing!
Dec 8, 2013
Fantastic dinner!! Made it with the stock I made w/ the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving. I made it in the crockpot and let it cook all day. I added potatoes as well. I will definitely make this again!!
Dec 30, 2012
I used chicken soup nase instead of the beef. My family loved it and the dumplings (my first time ever making them) turned out great! Will definately make again.
Oct 26, 2012
I made this for my family and everyone loved it! I've made it numerous times since then. Easy, really good flavor.
Nov 28, 2010
YUMMY!!! Very good. The perfect thing for a cold winter day!
Nov 22, 2010
It was super good! It was perfect. They were some of the best dumplings I have ever had too!!! Definitely a keeper!
Jul 16, 2008
This is a great recipe to use up left over turkey we use chicken also