Beef Stew with Herb Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Browning sauce, optional
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine four, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the vegetables, parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Add browning sauce if desired.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, thyme and sage. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until moistened.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 312 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2019
Next time I will use less liquid. I did substitute beef broth for water. I did not cook the dumplings long enough and they were to doughy rather then light and fluffy. I will probably leave the sage out of the dumplings next time. This was my first attempt at making stew. I think with a few modifications I can make this work better.
Oct 25, 2014
Jan 25, 2014
Wow, this is so good. Comfort food to the max. I didn't use the browning sauce but I kept everything else the same. It makes a ton of food and it threw me back to my childhood when my mom used to make dumplings. Yum!
Oct 22, 2013
Have discovered I have a *knack* for making beef stew with dumplings, after 38 years of marriage. Go figure!Let's try this again ~ have discovered I have a *knack* for making beef stew with dumplings, after 38 years of marriage. How 'bout that, huh?
Apr 2, 2013
This tastes just like the stew my mil used to make, although she didn't have a recipe to go by. Our family enjoys this comfort food stew.