Beef Cabbage Stew
This is one of my favorite meals since I don't have to stand over the stove or dirty a lot of pots and pans to prepare it. With six in the family, we have enough dishes to wash after each meal!
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 5 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown stew meat; drain. Meanwhile, dissolve bouillon cubes in water; add to beef. Stir in the onion, pepper and bay leaf. Cover; simmer 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- Add the potatoes, celery, cabbage and carrot. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and salt. Simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes more. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 194 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Beef Cabbage Stew in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.