Beef and Cabbage Pie
I especially like to make this when I can use fresh potatoes and cabbage from my garden. It's mmm-good!—Mary Lou Smarsh, Laurel, Montana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- Additional taco sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon onion salt. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage; saute over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until crisp. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chilies, taco sauce and remaining pepper and onion salt. Spoon into potato crust; bake another 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with additional taco sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Beef and Cabbage Pie in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.