Beef Stew Skillet Pie
Puff pastry makes a pretty topping for this homey skillet potpie. —Josh Rink, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large resealable container, combine 3 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper. Add beef in batches; shake to coat. Invert a 10-in. ovenproof skillet onto parchment; trace circle around pan 1/4 in. larger than rim. Cut out circle and set aside. In same skillet, saute beef in oil until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits.
- Combine 1-1/2 cups broth, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and basil; stir into skillet. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 45 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots; cook until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, roll out puff pastry to fit skillet using parchment circle as a guide; cut venting slits in pastry. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Combine the remaining flour and broth until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Discard bay leaf. Stir in peas and parsley.
- Brush beaten egg around edge of skillet to help pastry adhere; carefully place pastry over filling. Using a fork, press pastry firmly onto rim of pan; brush with egg. Bake pie at 425° until pastry is dark golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 473 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 1088mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Beef Stew Skillet Pie in 2019 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.