Beef and Tomato Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in ketchup and salt; set aside.
- Combine biscuit mix and milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 6-8 times. Roll into a 10-in. circle; transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Flute edges.
- Spoon meat mixture into crust. Sprinkle with tomatoes. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 352 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 883mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Aug 14, 2017
Made this for dinner this evening substituting Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust for the biscuit mix crust . It was delicious! My husband and I both loved it!
Sep 26, 2013
I made this last night with taco seasoning. Even with that I found the taste to be fairly bland. Was okay for a meal or two, but I won't be making it again. I like my biscuits baked soft and not crunchy. If you do too, watch the casserole and don't bake the entire time.
May 24, 2013
This was good with white cheddar cheese, but I had to put 6 cups of fresh tomatoes on it to get the taste balance I wanted. I also had to add about 1/4 cup of flour to the biscuit mix after adding all the milk. 1/2 cup of milk might be better. This pie also needed a deep-dish pie pan, not a "9-in. pie plate".
May 8, 2013
This was a tasty recipe - the family loved. I actually used a store bought pie crust and it still turned out excellent.
Sep 28, 2011
This was just ok, won't be making again, the chunks of tomato with the hamburger and cheese sounded like a great flavor combo, but it wasn't! The meat turned out kinda dry. Good idea- but bad out come:(
Mar 11, 2011
This was very delicious! My husband and I loved how crisp and flaky the crust was. It had a surprisingly large amount of flavor, as well. We added just a little bit of sour cream on top just before we ate it and it was rather delicious. :)
Apr 18, 2010
I have made this pie for years, always in the summer when I have fresh tomato's. I also use taco seasoning packet in my ground beef, like making taco's. Sometimes, I had a can of refried beans, and a half cup of salsa. I always add some extra tomato's and extra cheddar. This is really good. I have made this for over 10 years now. A quick summer recipe... Very filling!!! Enjoy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.