Beef Pot Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flours and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Add cheese; toss to blend. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate.
- For filling, in a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to fit the bottom of an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Transfer to dish. Spoon filling over crust. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish; cut slits or use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place dough over filling; trim and flute edges.
- If desired, arrange cutouts over pastry. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 487 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 15, 2014
This was a bit on the dry side for us. Also kind of bland, we thought. I probably won't bother making this again.
Jan 3, 2010
WOW! What a FANTASTIC tasting Pie!! My husband and I enjoyed this so much that we almost ate the whole pie in one sitting. We had to stop ourselves so we would have some left over for another meal; though, I can see it isn't going to be in the fridge long. The flavor is phenomenal! I will be making more of these in the near future. The time spend making it is WELL worth it! Thank you for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to make it again!