Beef Pot Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flours and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Add cheese; toss to blend. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate.
- For filling, in a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to fit the bottom of an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Transfer to dish. Spoon filling over crust. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish; cut slits or use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place dough over filling; trim and flute edges.
- If desired, arrange cutouts over pastry. Bake at 375° until bubbly and crust is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 487 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Jan 15, 2014
This was a bit on the dry side for us. Also kind of bland, we thought. I probably won't bother making this again.
Jan 3, 2010
WOW! What a FANTASTIC tasting Pie!! My husband and I enjoyed this so much that we almost ate the whole pie in one sitting. We had to stop ourselves so we would have some left over for another meal; though, I can see it isn't going to be in the fridge long. The flavor is phenomenal! I will be making more of these in the near future. The time spend making it is WELL worth it! Thank you for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to make it again!