Tomato Beef Shepherd’s Pie
This recipe’s meaty mixture is handy to keep in the freezer to jump start other main dishes. To give the pie a pretty look, pipe on the mashed potatoes using a large star tip.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 shepherd's pie (6 servings) plus 14 cups tomato ground beef mix
- TOMATO GROUND BEEF MIX:
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- SHEPHERD'S PIE:
- 3 cups warmed mashed potatoes (prepared with added milk and butter), divided
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, celery, parsley, salt, Italian seasoning, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and soup mix; spread into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with 2 cups beef mix and remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Cool remaining beef mix. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 241 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Tomato Ground Beef Mix in Ground Beef Recipes 2012 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.