Tomato Beef Shepherd’s Pie
This recipe’s meaty mixture is handy to keep in the freezer to jump start other main dishes. To give the pie a pretty look, pipe on the mashed potatoes using a large star tip.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 shepherd's pie (6 servings) plus 14 cups tomato ground beef mix
- TOMATO GROUND BEEF MIX:
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- SHEPHERD'S PIE:
- 3 cups warmed mashed potatoes (prepared with added milk and butter), divided
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, celery, parsley, salt, Italian seasoning, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and soup mix; spread into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with 2 cups beef mix and remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Cool remaining beef mix. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 241 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Tomato Ground Beef Mix in Ground Beef Recipes 2012 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips