Tomato Onion Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Additional tomato slices, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Crumble nine bacon strips; set remaining strips aside. Place the bread crumbs in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Layer with half of the tomatoes, onions, crumbled bacon and cheese. Top with the remaining tomatoes, onions and crumbled bacon.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper; pour over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with reserved bacon strips. Arrange additional tomato slices around the edge if desired. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 403 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
May 20, 2010
This dish has become a staple in our house. Whenever I carry it to a potluck, I get requests for the recipe.Delicious!
May 3, 2010
My parents and friends absolutely LOVED this dish! I don't see a need for eggs in this recipe, so next time I will use about 1/2 can of chicken broth rather than eggs. I think that will allow some liquid to moisten the bread crumbs on the bottom (as some of mine were still dry). Also, we cut grape tomatoes in half b/c we didn't have good big tomatoes and they tasted just fine.