Fresh tomatoes star in this delicious casserole from Debbie Campbell of Peterborough, Ontario. “This is a great side dish, very simple and fast,” she says. “It's especially tasty when tomatoes are from the garden or, in my case, when I get a basket from the farmers' market.”
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 129 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Aug 4, 2010
I found the onion to be a little much - but size is in the eye of the beholder. I will go with about 1/2 cup chopped onion next time. Otherwise, it's a good summer time recipe.