Bacon Tomato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the green pepper, onion, salt, marjoram, thyme and pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles. Add half of the bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with cheese and remaining bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 363 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1150mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2016
Oh man...I SO wanted to love this. It sounded great and I prepared the dish exactly as written (with the same herbs and all.) But it was just a so-so dish and nobody really ate it. The kiddos picked through the casserole, found the bacon and we threw the rest away. :( Would not make again, just too many other dishes out there worth making instead.
Nov 19, 2013
Really good, used red pepper istead of green. I also used my home canned staightup tomatoes. I'd make this again. Janet
Mar 13, 2012
Definitely a "Make again dinner" !!!
Dec 5, 2011
Wow. Totally expected to not like this recipe as I hate tomatoes but it turned out to be so delicious! Couple things I changed. I didn't add the pepper, gives my mom heart burn. I upped the onion to one whole medium onion(cooks down) and I added three garlic cloves and a large handful of chopped basil. I also added two teaspoons of sugar to sweeten the tomatoes. Marjoram wasn't added because I didn't have any. I knew this recipe was a keeper when my mother griped over the lack of leftovers and then requested it again a couple night later.
Feb 15, 2010
Excellent. Everyone including the four kiddos liked it. We substituted some sausage as we didn't have a enough bacon, and we doubled the recipe which worked great.
Sep 11, 2009
This was really good! I quickly made a small batch of my own stewed tomatoes with tomatoes from my garden. Since we have 6 kids, I doubled the amount of noodles, and it didn't effect the flavor. It was delicious, and still not enough! I didn't use the green peppers because I didn't have any, but it didn't hurt it.
Jul 20, 2008
This dish was awesome. The only change I made was using fire roasted tomatoes and the flavor was fantastic. No leftovers, so I'll be making this one again real soon ... it's a definate keeper!