Beans, Bacon & Tomato Bake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups frozen lima beans (about 42 ounces), thawed
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook bacon, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until bacon is crisp and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish or a 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake, covered, 35-40 minutes or until beans are tender.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 230 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 11, 2019
Bacon overwhelmed the unique, delicious flavor of lima beans in this dish. If I HAD to make again, I'd try half as much bacon.
Sep 26, 2019
I have made this twice within the past month. A good side or a good late evening snack. Makes a lot. I plan to make it again and again. It is worth the effort. First time I made it, I did not bake; seemed perfect on the range. Second time, because the beans didn't soak to a good softness over night, I felt I needed to bake it to have softer beans. Either way, a great recipe.
Jan 7, 2019
I am always looking for new Lima bean recipes and this one did not disappoint. I only made half a recipe, which was plenty for 4 of us with leftovers.