Beans, Bacon & Tomato Bake
Bacon, tomatoes and lima beans combine for a nutrient-packed side dish that makes the perfect accompaniment to turkey. —Karen Kumpulainen, Forest City, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes12 servings 2/3 cup each)
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups frozen lima beans (about 42 ounces), thawed
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook bacon, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until bacon is crisp and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish or a 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake, covered, 35-40 minutes or until beans are tender.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 230 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Lima & Tomato Bake Recipe in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.