Two-Bean Tomato Bake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh wax beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; add tomatoes and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 4 tablespoons butter until crisp-tender. Add 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Add to the bean mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs, cheese and remaining garlic, basil and oregano. Sprinkle over bean mixture.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 124 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2017
Green beans and tomatoes go together. This is a unique and flavorful twist!!
May 30, 2010
I also meant to say that I left out the mushrooms.
May 30, 2010
Excellent recipe. Made this for dinner with baby back ribs on the grill. Great side dish.