Beans and Franks Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans
- 4 hot dogs, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the beans, hot dogs, bacon, ketchup, brown sugar and onion. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese; top with corn bread batter.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 687 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 1886mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 10g fiber), 24g protein.
Sep 20, 2016
I would recommend adding way more wieners and bacon than the recipe says. There was barely enough to make the second 8x8 dish. However, it was very tasty, my brothers who I made this for loved it. I used Bushes brown sugar hickory beans, and only added 1/4 cup brown sugar because there's already an insane amount of sugar in this. My diabetic husband said he didn't want to go anywhere near this lol.
Aug 12, 2015
I used Baked Beans with Brown Sugar (what I had on hand) and it turned out too sweet. I added some yellow mustard and it balanced out fine. Wanted a little more flavor and moistness to the cornbread, so I used a Jiffy Cornbread recipe that had Creamed Corn in it. Worked well. The family liked it and we'll have it again sometime..
Jun 4, 2015
Revamped to leave out the wheat/corn. Omitted the sugar (enough sugar in the beans & ketchup.) So it became beans and wieners in a crockpot with onion powder & cooked uncured turkey bacon. Pretty tasty!
May 4, 2015
Loved this recipe! I made it exactly as written and served it with some fresh pineapple on the side.
Jun 2, 2013
Made a few changes. Beef sausage instead of hotdogs (had a coupon), grilled the onions in the bacon fat, used Bush's Baked Beans (another coupon deal), added some garlic salt and pepper to spice up, and used GF cornbread mix.
Nov 16, 2012
This was a fun recipe. Thanks. I twisted it up a bit. I used Bush's canned beans and added a can of black beans and a small can of rotel original. We are empty nesters and usually eat a lot healthier. But my husband had this craving for beans and franks and voila! Thanks again.
Aug 28, 2012
Wasn't sure how this would go over at my party. It was delicious and a big hit. What great comfort food. I left out the mozzarella cheese cause I didn't see the point. It was still excellent. Thanks for this.
Jun 1, 2012
We thought this casserole was OK, but prefer the Sloppy Joe Under a Bun (also a Taste of Home recipe) in terms of casseroles that have bread on the top. I think maybe with the beans and cornbread both it is just a little too sweet for our taste.
Nov 12, 2011
this was very easy to make and to have one in the freezer was nice
Oct 23, 2011
I didn't really care for this recipe much. It could be that the canned beans that I had already were sweet with brown sugar. There are many other recipes that I prefer to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.