Ham and Bean Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- CORNBREAD TOPPING:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in ham, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, mustard, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, egg and oil; stir in corn. Add to cornmeal mixture just until combined.
- Transfer the hot bean mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drop cornbread batter by spoonful over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and a toothpick inserted in the center of topping comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 435 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1509mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 19g protein.
Aug 18, 2017
I made this for my boyfriend who loved it. Ten years later we are happily married and he still requests this simple and delicious recipe. When I have guests, I turn to his recipe for an impressive dish that pleases.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.