Makeover Ham ‘n’ Potato Bake
This alternative replaced the whole milk with fat-free evaporated milk and used reduced-fat cheddar cheese in place of the sharp cheddar.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked lean ham slices, cut into strips
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, pepper and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add 1 cup cheese and mustard. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Fold in the potatoes, ham, carrots and parsley. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 316 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1046mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.