Three Beans and Sausage
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Sprinkle with oregano and thyme if desired. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 418 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1525mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2017
This was not nearly as good as we had hoped, especially considering the other reviews. It tasted a lot like medicine at first, but that was fixed with some Frank’s Red Hot at the table. It still was just okay, not a keeper for me.
Jul 16, 2014
This recipe was very simple but I felt that is was too plain tasting. I made this when I had a family get together and everyone thought the same. My mother-in-law suggested that there be more sauce. So maybe with double the tomato sauce or use a big jar of marinara sauce so the sauce is thicker.
Sep 22, 2010
My kids love this. We have it often during cool weather months.
Feb 1, 2010
I used the smoked turkey sausage and cut it down for two. It was very good.
May 7, 2009
This is excellent. I did not have celery, so I used a 15 oz can of mixed veggies (undrained) and reduced the amount of water to 2/3 c. I also added a can of tomato paste and a few dashes of Red Hot. Excellent - we really enjoyed it!
Oct 7, 2008
Wonderful! You can also add just a bit of water or beef broth to make a soup or stew and it is just as good.
Aug 4, 2008
This is a great recipe. We added a can of green chilies and some garlic salt. Excellent!
Jun 5, 2008
this recipe has quickly become a weekend family favorite. I like to cook up extra rice earlier in the week. It is really fast to prepare and you have easy clean-up after.