Old-Fashioned Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 50 min. + standing Bake: 3 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 quarts cold water, divided
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring beans, salt and 2 qt. water to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to pan. Cover with remaining water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain, reserving liquid. In a greased 2-1/2 qt. baking dish, combine beans, 1 cup liquid, onion, molasses, bacon, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are as thick as desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Add more of the reserved cooking liquid if needed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 154 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 2, 2018
Made these beans yesterday. Very good. I put them in the crock pot for the afternoon instead of the oven, and that worked well. I think I would use half the molasses the recipe called for next time I make them, The molasses flavour was strong. Maybe maple syrup would be a good change up. Sure beats the canned beans!!!
Dec 9, 2017
11/4/17: Prepared recipe. This was the first time I'd even MADE a baked bean recipe from scratch! This dish is DELICIOUS! My changes: Used the reserved bean liquid as needed and 9 to 11 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled. Everything else was kept as recipe instructed!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.