Old-Fashioned Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 50 min. + standing Bake: 3 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 quarts cold water, divided
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring beans, salt and 2 qt. water to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to pan. Cover with remaining water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain, reserving liquid. In a greased 2-1/2 qt. baking dish, combine beans, 1 cup liquid, onion, molasses, bacon, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are as thick as desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Add more of the reserved cooking liquid if needed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 154 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 2, 2018
Made these beans yesterday. Very good. I put them in the crock pot for the afternoon instead of the oven, and that worked well. I think I would use half the molasses the recipe called for next time I make them, The molasses flavour was strong. Maybe maple syrup would be a good change up. Sure beats the canned beans!!!
Dec 9, 2017
11/4/17: Prepared recipe. This was the first time I'd even MADE a baked bean recipe from scratch! This dish is DELICIOUS! My changes: Used the reserved bean liquid as needed and 9 to 11 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled. Everything else was kept as recipe instructed!