My Favorite Chili Dogs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hr.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 package (12 ounces) hot dog buns, split
- Finely chopped red onion
- Yellow mustard
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes; drain. Add next 10 ingredients; simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place in buns and top with chili, red onion and yellow mustard.
Nutrition Facts1 hot dog: 427 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1195mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 20, 2018
I thought these were great but I am confused. Someone wrote the sauce was runny and she would add half the water called for. I could not find the recipe called for any water?
May 14, 2018
This is one of our favorite toppings on hot dogs. This makes a big batch but you can freeze the leftovers & it thaws out fine.
Aug 22, 2016
My family and I loved these! Easy to make and delicious. The chili was t spicy but a bit sweet, yum! My only complaint was that the sauce was a bit watery/runny. Next time we I'll add half the amount of water called for.
Aug 1, 2016
So much fun to make! The kids enjoyed making the easy chili and grilling the dogs. I added black beans, and a can of green Chiles to the meat. Yum!
Jul 6, 2016
The chili tastes more like sloppy joes and much too acidic. Disappointing...
Jun 9, 2016
This chili is not good at all! It is vinegary and tasteless! So disappointed! I guess chili is different in Texas than it is in New York.
Jun 2, 2016
I made no changes to the chili itself, but I did forgot to line the insides of the roll with mustard, will have to remember that for next time. My guys aren't into chili, and I'd considered reducing the recipe, but I'm glad I didn't. I froze the remaining chili in single person portions.