Pizza Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (about 50 slices), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Stir in the pizza sauce, pepperoni and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 2/3 cup beef mixture onto each bun; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 329 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 825mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 15, 2019
A change of flavors from the usual sloppy joe. It is a little too salty, so will probably leave off the pepperoni or at least cut back the amount. Also, we like our pizza sauce a little sweeter, so added a small amount of sugar.
Jun 24, 2018
This is a really good and quick meal. I used 85/15 ground beef and a 5 oz package of regular mini pepperoni (I can't eat turkey). I sauteed the pepperoni to remove as much fat as possible. Wiped out the pan, then made the recipe as written. I used some tips from other reviewers and toasted the bun bottoms. After they came out of the oven, I put cheese on the toasted bottoms, then the sloppy Joe's, more cheese, and broiled it. My husband and I really enjoyed it. It had a great pizza flavor and again, it was super simple and yummy!
Jun 7, 2015
My kids love this! I always double the recipe so I can freeze half for a super-quick dinner another night.
Feb 28, 2014
My mother pretty much insulted my cooking after i made this. She said it sucked. I kind of liked it but, it could use some adjustments. It's pretty much spaghetti without the pasta and, my mom loves spaghetti but, only when she makes it though. It might just be her.
May 12, 2012
I agree this seemed a little too salty (and I love my salt!). It seemed as if it needed to be served with pasta rather than on hamburger buns.
Sep 19, 2011
It turned out way too salty for our taste with the sauce and pepperoni and cheese.
Jun 19, 2011
It was a nice change from the typical sloppy joe's... It will go into our regular lunch/dinner rotation. :)
Jan 7, 2011
Everyone enjoyed the Joes! will make again!
Jan 6, 2011
This is a wonderful change of pace from the same old Sloppy Joe. My family prefers this one over any other!
Jan 6, 2011
Paying attention to other reviewer, I toasted the H/B buns in my toaster and broiled them on parchment paper...NO stick-No mess and they were terrific. I also added minced Garlic to the spices...Little common sense make these a real winner!