Favorite Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 large carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound small onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in oil. Combine the salt, pepper and thyme; sprinkle over meat. Add bay leaf and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat from pan juices; add enough water to pan juices to measure 2 cups. In a bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast; serve with vegetables and gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 523 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 50g protein.
Apr 7, 2018
This has been my favorite potroast ever since it was printed in the magazine years ago. Simple ingredients but so much good comforting flavor. I also love to make the pasties with the leftovers, the recipe was in the magazine with the potroast recipe.
Jan 23, 2016
Simple, straightforward, tasty! I was a bit worried about the meat being on the stovetop and in that much water, but it was delicious. I did cut back on the water some, because I was out of potatoes and my pot roast had a huge bone that made up some of its weight.
Dec 12, 2012
Basic, but tasty. Onions replaced due to allergy by minced garlic to taste.
Nov 1, 2012
I usually do roast beef in the crockpot or oven, and this was the first time for cooking it on the stove-top. It was very good. I added some fresh rosemary to the gravy at the end to give it more flavor. I use cornstarch to thicken my gravies, and I found the flour made it look light. Is this where the browning sauce comes in? I couldn't find it at the store. Overall, a good and easy recipe which just takes time.
Sep 26, 2010
This is an easy, delicious, recipe that I have used over and over again. Thanks for keeping this recipe online because I no longer have my first issues of Quick Cooking.
Jul 4, 2010
I add a can of mushrooms to the meat while it is cooking. This has become a favorite.