Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- Chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomato paste, chili powder, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Keep hot until serving.
- Grill or broil hot dogs until heated through. Place on buns; top with chili. Sprinkle with onion and cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 390 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1184mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Oct 30, 2016
This tastes much better than a chili sauce I previously used. Didn't have tomato juice, used 1/2 cup organic creamy tomato soup with 1/2 cup Pomi tomato sauce, and 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt (preferred). But aaaccckkk, DH doesn't really care for it.
Feb 15, 2013
First time making a chili dog and this recipe was both easy and delicious!!!
Aug 2, 2010
This is close enough to my Mom's recipe to give this 5 stars. I haven't had them in a long time since I saw what all is in a hot dog and I miss them something terrible! I grew up on these. I could eat 4 of them. We didn't put cheese on ours but HAD to have onions.
Jun 25, 2010
i like to eat healthy so this has to many calories and carb. for me
May 25, 2008
This is a little too much tomato paste for me, I cut it down to 1/2 can..Tastes much better to us.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.