Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- Chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomato paste, chili powder, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Keep hot until serving.
- Grill or broil hot dogs until heated through. Place on buns; top with chili. Sprinkle with onion and cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 390 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1184mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 30, 2016
This tastes much better than a chili sauce I previously used. Didn't have tomato juice, used 1/2 cup organic creamy tomato soup with 1/2 cup Pomi tomato sauce, and 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt (preferred). But aaaccckkk, DH doesn't really care for it.
Feb 15, 2013
First time making a chili dog and this recipe was both easy and delicious!!!
Aug 2, 2010
This is close enough to my Mom's recipe to give this 5 stars. I haven't had them in a long time since I saw what all is in a hot dog and I miss them something terrible! I grew up on these. I could eat 4 of them. We didn't put cheese on ours but HAD to have onions.
Jun 25, 2010
i like to eat healthy so this has to many calories and carb. for me
May 25, 2008
This is a little too much tomato paste for me, I cut it down to 1/2 can..Tastes much better to us.