Favorite Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Grill: 35 min.
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut into 8 pieces each
- Salt and pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Grill skin side down, uncovered, on a greased grill rack over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, make barbecue sauce by heating oil over medium heat. Add onion; saute until tender. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; brush with barbecue sauce. Grill 15-25 minutes longer, brushing frequently with sauce, until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in the breast and 170°-175° in the thigh.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 370 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein.
Jun 5, 2018
I made this on a recent camping trip and everyone just loved it!
Jun 28, 2017
This is a really great mild barbecue sauce - very family-friendly and perfect for grilled chicken!
Jun 12, 2017
What a great sauce. Love all of the extra ingredients in this recipe. It is a little bit of everything. Perfect for ribs, chicken, pork or as a sauce for Meatloaf.My weekend winner.Janie
Jun 8, 2017
I baked the chicken as I don't have a grill. I also used 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs as I didn't have whole chickens and used 1/2 medium onion. I also just used 1 cup ketchup. The rest of the sauce was kept the same!
Jun 7, 2017
This was very good and easy to make! My favorite part about this recipe is that it is made with ingredients that I have on hand. The sauce is a little on the sweet side but has a good tang to it. For my taste, I would add a little more salt. The only change I made was using less onion because my husband doesn't like a ton of onion flavor.
May 30, 2017
Very good! Made this for supper on our charcoal grill! My sauce got a little to thick, but that was an easy fix by adding a tiny bit of water to loosen it up, and it was very tasty!
Nov 10, 2014
I made exactly as directed, and we enjoyed this barbecued chicken.
Sep 16, 2008
I used sesame seed oil and it added just a little extra taste to this already delicious bbq sauce.