Lip-Smackin’ BBQ Chicken
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Grill: 25 min.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 pounds assorted bone-in chicken pieces
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove half of the sauce; reserve for brushing chicken. Keep remaining sauce warm for serving.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat 25-35 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally and brushing with reserved sauce during the last 10 minutes. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken: 402 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 871mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 1, 2018
Excellent recipe. It tasted delicious and is relatively easy to put together.
Sep 21, 2016
I was not a big fan of this sauce. I do love tangy and sweet, but I think the cumin ruined it for me and it was a little too sweet and not enough tang. I've had better homemade bbq sauces so I won't be making this one again.
Aug 30, 2016
I LOVE LOVE LOVE vinegary sauces that cut the sweet and this is PERFECT! the sauce recipe makes a TON (which is probably why it calls for 6 lbs of chicken) so you may want to cut it in half, or make it all and store for other things (which is what I did). I was skeptical that there weren't other spices in the sauce (chili powder, garlic, onion etc.) but it definitely DID NOT need it!! YUM!
Aug 20, 2015
This sauce is VERY GOOD! I actually cut the recipe in half and used chicken thighs, precooked chicken slightly before grilling. Served with garden veggies and fresh new potatoes and was well received.