Barbecued Strawberry Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove from pan. In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, about 1 minute.
- Stir in barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 4-6 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Bake until a thermometer reads 165°, 12-15 minutes. Stir in strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 1/3 cup sauce: 495 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 13, 2019
Excellent recipe! I was cooking for two, so I halved the recipe, and regretted it later, because we both wanted more! I used a sweet barbecue sauce, so I left out the brown sugar, but I would definitely add in the future with a spicier sauce. The chicken was tender and juicy, and the combination of flavors was fantastic!
Jul 9, 2017
Excellent awesome recipe easy to prepare I added fresh steamed green beans & some pasta I give it 100% will definatly make this again my mom & boyfriend give it an A rating
Jun 30, 2017
This was very good. Chicken was very moist and tender. A bite of chicken with a strawberry slice was out of this world !!!
Jun 4, 2017
Very good! Needed to cook longer than the time in the recipe.
Jul 27, 2016
I cut this recipe in half for just my husband and I and we loved it! I had never browned chicken before, but this turned out so well! The chicken came out of the oven very juicy and tender. I didn't have an oven-safe skillet, so I did everything in a normal skillet, then transferred it all to an 8x8 dish (w/ the bottom greased with butter). It took a bit longer than I think it normally would have, but nothing too crazy. The strawberries really brought out the balsamic flavor. I will definitely make this again!
Oct 9, 2015
Oh, baby! This was good stuff! The sauce was excellent, and the chicken was very tender. I saved the leftover sauce to use on something else. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out!
Aug 1, 2015
Jul 6, 2015
We loved this!!! The flavor is great! And it looks fancy but is so easy to make!
Mar 21, 2015
We like dark meat, so I made this with thighs. I adjusted the baking time to allow for thicker bone-in pieces and it was an instant success.