Southern Barbecued Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Grill: 40 min.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring often. Cool.
- Pour 1-2/3 cups marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Place skin side down over pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20-25 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts3/4 pound: 912 calories, 79g fat (10g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 1355mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 44g protein.
May 15, 2013
My husband's absolute fave for chicken!
Aug 2, 2010
My family really liked this recipe. I like it that you don't have to worry about anything surgary in the sauce burning. However, I left out the hot sauce, as I don't like it and it drowns out all the other flavors. Also I didn't have enough cider vinegar and substituted champagne vinegar. Just about any kind of vinegar can be used. As to the cooking method, I just put the chicken pieces around the edge of the briquets, and they only took about 25 minutes to cook.
Sep 24, 2009
we loved this dish
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.