Southern Shredded BBQ Chicken
My family loves traditional pork barbecue served over mashed potatoes. I swapped the pork for chicken in honor of the delicious chicken barbecue my childhood church used to serve at its annual fundraiser. I also love cornbread and think that this yummy chicken is even better when served with a slice.—Angela Spengler, Clovis, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- Place chicken in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato soup, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder, salt, celery seed, soy sauce and cayenne. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk and 4 tablespoons butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Drizzle remaining butter over warm bread.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker. Using a slotted spoon, the chicken over cornbread.
Nutrition Facts1 cup shredded chicken with 1 piece corn bread: 669 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 224mg cholesterol, 1217mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 53g protein.
Originally published as Southern Slow Cooked Shredded Chicken BBQ on Cornbread Squares in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.